Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Mobo repair - any point?

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 01:53:46 -0700, paulfoel
put finger to keyboard and composed:

When you say that "powering on does absolutely nothing", do you mean
that there is no sound from the power supply, eg no kick from the fan?

If so, then looking for problems in the CMOS RAM or flash BIOS EEPROM
would be pointless. Both these devices require a functional CPU to
read them.

Correct.

AFAICT, you haven't proved that your PSU is good, so the first thing
I'd do is disconnect all its loads, connect a disposable load such an
old hard drive, and then short PS_ON (pin 14, green) to any ground pin
(black).

New PSU which passes this test.

I'd connect only the motherboard, no cards or peripherals, to the PSU.
If the PSU still won't fire up, then I'd check the motherboard for
shorts at each of the incoming rails. Otherwise you could monitor the
PS_ON pin with a multimeter while you press and release the power
button. It should switch from +5V to 0V and stay there. If PS_ON is at
0V and the PSU is not up and running, then I'd suspect that an
overload condition has shut it down.

- Franc Zabkar

Also, no memory...or a known good, single stick....

jak