Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Strength of different hardwoods

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:44:11 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"yugami" wrote in message
roups.com...
I'm considering making a bed based on these plans. (small aesthetic/
practicle tweaks like lowering the footboard to just over the bottom
of the mattress so I don't kick it, I'm tall)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...g/1273341.html

However I don't want to use Mahogany, I was thinking of Cherry
perhaps.

Now I had made a bed previously, and didn't base it on any plans. The
results ended in the bed breaking as I didn't use thick enough
material. (It was also too tall and my wife had to hop to get in the
bed, she's short)

Now I'm worried that the dimensions may have been chosen based on the
strength of the wood, and perhaps other woods are not as strong. I
would prefer to keep this one from breaking

Are their any good guidelines for this?

Its all about proper construction technique. Wood strength tends to be
important but not as much as you would think considering the fact that Water
Beds are held up by Pine sticks stapled together.

I agree. I had a rail split on a bed i made one time. On close
inspection the way I had added the connector and rail flange had left
stress points on the end which was unreinforced end grain. This was
cherry, but, I don't think the type of hardwood would have mattered.
My design was wrong.

Frank