Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Randy is offline

Default 5c collets

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:48:00 -0700, Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Sep 6, 4:36 pm, Randy wrote:
I need some help/opinions. I've been using the same set of 5c collets
I bought 20 years ago from Travers tool. Their brand, some import, I
don't remember where they were from. Anyway they are all tight on the
fit. I need to push to get .250 stock into the 1/4" collet. What
sucks is when you are working with 1/2" TGP and it gets all scratched
up going in and out of the collet.

Is this normal or is this because they were the cheap set?

I ask now because I bought a 3/4" square Lyndex collet and it's nice,
3/4 sq stock slides nicely in and out.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

http://www.royalprod.com/product.cfm?catID=6&id=85

"... they are not spread after grinding,..."

My few Royal and Hardinge collets apparently -were- spread after
grinding, the Enco ones are randomly loose or tight. I stuff small
screwdrivers in the slots to open them if necessary

jw

Yea, I've used the screwdriver trick too, but it's a pain in the butt.

Maybe I need to order a few more lyndex and see if they're better.