Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default help - loading trouble on video recorder

Ivan wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , OldBill
scribeth thus
bugbear wrote:
Two nights ago my VCR refused to play a tape;
the tape was already in, and had been recorded
Its last century's electro-mechanical technology. Dump it and get
something modern.
Skip DVD recorders which are last year's gadgets and get a harddisk
recorder. You'll be amazed at the difference in functionality.
Can you still get VHS tapes anywhere except charity shops?
In fact I still have VCR which cost £400 in 1997 but I haven't used it
for 2 years as the quality is no longer acceptable.

Should clean the heads then Do bear in mind that should you need to
take that recording elsewhere or send it to someone, its a bit tedious
sending a hard drive!.

Course hard disk recording is still electro mechanical and hard drives
can and do fail;!....

Flash memory devices are steadily increasing in capacity whilst the
price has dropped dramatically (SD cards now up to 8 GB) However I do
have to admit not being up to speed on these kind of developments, so
I'd like to ask the more knowledgeable on this group 'is there any major
technical reason why some kind of memory card can't became a De Facto
interchangeable standard on millions of PVR's around the world, maybe
coupled with MPEG4?. especially as it's almost certain that not only
will memory capacity continue to improve but prices will also plummet.

The average size of an divx/xvid feature film is well under 1 gb. I
don't know what the quality would be like on a 40" tv, but they're fine
on a 24".