Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Roderick Stewart[_2_] Roderick Stewart[_2_] is offline

Default help - loading trouble on video recorder

In article , Ivan wrote:
Flash memory devices are steadily increasing in capacity whilst the price*
has dropped dramatically (SD cards now up to 8 GB) However I do have to*
admit not being up to speed on these kind of developments, so I'd like to*
ask the more knowledgeable on this group 'is there any major technical*
reason why some kind of memory card can't became a De Facto interchangeable*
standard on millions of PVR's around the world, maybe coupled with MPEG4?.*
especially as it's almost certain that not only will memory capacity*
continue to improve but prices will also plummet.

SD already is a sort of de facto standard for storing material on all sorts of
gadgets, mostly pocket ones, though I suspect it is used a lot less frequently
for exchange of data between gadgets, because mostly people just want to swap
the occasional snapshot, and they can use bluetooth or MMS for that. For
swapping stuff between computers, the USB dongle drive seems pretty popular.
Whatever is cheapest and easiest to use will always be the one most people
use, and in five years time there will be something completely different, and
Sony will invent their own incompatible version of the same thing, then a
smaller one that needs an adaptor, and so on.

Rod.