Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default fishing phone cable through hole

"Terry" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 17:35:57 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

I'm in the process of pulling new phone cable for my house and tied the
old
cable to the new cable with electrical tape. Unfortunately the two became
separated and now I need to push the new cable through the 1/4" or so hole
in the wall and out the house. I know the holes aren't aligned, so I'm
hoping there is an easier way to do this that doesn't involve "cut the
drywall" The jack that it came from was a surface mount jack, so there is
no box in the wall, just a hole in the drywall.

I know that there is fishtape, but for some reason I thought the head on
fishtape was larger than the diameter of phone cable. The holes are
almost
exactly the diameter of the phone cable, if not smaller, whoever did the
fishing of the wires did a really good job. The hole is small enough so
that looking through it is hopeless - no eyeballing this job.

Unless you are planning to use DSL, I would think the existing cable
would last for years. Any peculiar reason you would want to change
the phone cable?

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/PC160076.JPG
That's why.

I get the feeling that you won't have much success in fishing a route
that spans more than one stud. (let us know how you did it)

You might consider just abandoning the run and put the phone cable in
the crawl space. You can mount phone jacks on the baseboard at floor
level and you only need a 3/8 hole in the floor that the jack will
cover when you are done.

The last option is to buy a base phone that comes with 2 or 3 cordless
extension phones. I have an AT&T phone I love. It came with one
extra handset.