Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default fishing phone cable through hole

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
I'm in the process of pulling new phone cable for my house and tied the
old cable to the new cable with electrical tape. Unfortunately the two
became separated and now I need to push the new cable through the 1/4" or
so hole in the wall and out the house. I know the holes aren't aligned,
so I'm hoping there is an easier way to do this that doesn't involve "cut
the drywall" The jack that it came from was a surface mount jack, so
there is no box in the wall, just a hole in the drywall.

I know that there is fishtape, but for some reason I thought the head on
fishtape was larger than the diameter of phone cable. The holes are
almost exactly the diameter of the phone cable, if not smaller, whoever
did the fishing of the wires did a really good job. The hole is small
enough so that looking through it is hopeless - no eyeballing this job.

Stick a hooked wire through from BOTH sides, and then move one of the wires
in a circle till they hook up, and pull. Cut up coat hanger will work fine.
It'll take a few tries. You can enlarge the interior hole some- just put the
surface-mount jack over it.

Yet another of many reasons I HATE through-the-wall installs. Basement and
fished through walls to open-back boxes, or even basement and diagnal hole
drilled through baseboard right under the surface-mount block, is the
correct way to go, IMHO. Of course, on a new house, a proper home-run
prewire is the only way to go.

aem sends...