Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Default Pinging Bruce for Clarification

RoyJ wrote:

You question is really "can I run a 3 phase motor on single phase?"
Answer is a qualified maybe: since you will be running only 2 of the 3
phases, you can only get 2/3rds of the rated power. Plus you will need
to run some capacitors to pick up the 3rd leg to get it to start in the
desired direction. This is the approach used by a static phase
converter. Real answer is to run a rotary phase converter or a VFD.

No his question was the reverese, "can I run a single phase load from
a 3 phase source" THe answer of course being yes.

Ken Sterling wrote:
Bruce (or anyone qualified).....
Three phase power ----- isn't each leg 120 degrees from the others?
Single phase power - 220v - isn't each leg 180 degrees from the other?
If the above is correct (and I'm hoping I understand it correctly) it
would stand to reason, that if you needed to hook up a 220v single
phase machine and you had 3 phase available at that location you
could, (and I am not saying it's correct) connect to two of the three
phases and run the machine, even tho the sine waves wouldn't be 180
out, it probably wouldn't hurt anything. Am I correct in this
assumption??? Any and all comments welcome
Thanks.
Ken.

jk