Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default B&S Engine Stalling

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 15:24:08 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 13:02:06 -0000, wrote:

All good suggestions, but sadly all were tried and failed to reveal
the problem. Gas flows freely through the new gas line; it still
stalls, even running with the gas cap off (seemed like despite all the
other gunk on it, the fuel tank was clean); I have blown out the carb
with cleaner, and all the tiny holes seem to be free of debris (the
ones I could find, that is).

Some "tiny holes" need to be cleaned with a piece of wire. A wire
plucked from a wire brush (stainless is best). These ports clog and
you don't get the right air/fuel mixture in the carb throat.

My next step would probably be to replace all the gaskets in the carb
-- assuming that one of them is leaking air and causing the engine to
lose prime. Not sure if that is even remotely resonable though.
Thoughts?

Thanks for everything so far. I wasn't sure (in Telstra's response)
what/where the float valve is, but I am happy to check it ...

Have you tried to run this engine without an air filter after it
stalls? Pull the air filter off, run it and see if it stalls.

Before it dies out, can you spray carb fluid in to keep it running?

Muffler may be clogged. Engine needs to breath just like a human,
inhale and EXHALE! Check your muffler for free air flow.

Cheers,
Joe