Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lowes Paint Counter vs. A Real Paint Store

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
ps.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"frank megaweege" wrote in message
ups.com...

Lowe's and Home Depot are useful for supplies when you know exactly
what you need, can go in, load up your cart and get out with as little
interaction with employees as possible. They're usually hiding from
customers anyway.

I had absolutely no problem at HD, getting a can of Kilz white exterior
latex glossy to match the previous can of the exact same thing. :-) The
paint expert was very helpful when he said "yeah it's down that aisle
somewhere". :-)

I live where a Home Depot and Lowe's are almost across the street from
one another, and I haven't been to Lowe's in over a year because they
made a pricing mistake on every other visit, and their employees were
a lot less informed and less available. For example, I needed a
window air conditioner one July, and it took three Lowe's employees to
find them in their store. OTOH when I needed an odd electrical item,
a Home Depot employee who worked in a completely different department
told me exactly where to find it, not only the aisle but how far from
the end and how high above the floor.

BTW at a place like Home Depot, if you have a complex problem try to
find an employee who doesn't smile because that person is probably a
contractor working part time. At one of their stores that meant the
lighting dept. was staffed by an electrical engineer who testing
lighting at UL.

At the store here, the electrical "expert" is a mouth breathing neanderthal.