Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Using a Router to create molding/trim

Nosstech wrote:
Thank you. I will use all of these tips tonight. Great info... As
you can tell, I am a little green when it comes to routing.

Be thankful you're not a little red. From blood.

Those are BIG bits you're using and you really shouldn't be using them
(or any other big bit) unless and until you know what you are doing.
I know perfectly well you won't follow that advice so, to recap...

1. Set your fence so that you are taking off a MAXIMUM of 1/8" of wood
from any point on the board.

2. The edge being cut is next to the fence; i.e., the progression of
things as you look from the front of the table is...
a. board to be cut
b. bit
c. fence

3. Run your board from right to left viewed as you stand in front of
the table.

4. Keep your hands away from the bit and the board tight against both
table and fence.

If that doesn't cut the full profile of the bit (probably won't), move
the fence back 1/8" and do another pass. Repeat as necessary, making
the last pass 1/16" or less to assure smoothest cutting finish.

Once you start cutting, keep the board moving. If you stop, the bit
will burn the wood. I can't tell you how *fast* to move the board as
that comes from experience and the sound. Which is why I never use
sound protection.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...