Posted to rec.woodworking
Nosstech Nosstech is offline

Default Using a Router to create molding/trim

On Sep 6, 10:25 am, tom wrote:
On Sep 6, 7:11 am, Nosstech wrote:

I have a a variable speed router (on a router table). I purchased a
set of molding router bits. When I place my 1x4 on my table and feed
it to the bit... the router will violently take the wood right from my
hand. I have the router set on the lowest speed possible and it still
"shoots" the board 10 feet away. I almost took my dad's head off!!!

Any idea how I can control the board so I can get a clean, usable cut
from the router and bits?

The router bits are approx. 3 1/2 inches in hight.

Thanks.
Barry

Number one: Be sure you're feeding in the proper direction, against
the rotation of the bit. Number two: Take smaller bites, maybe using
a fence to limit depth of cut. Three: Get a primer that covers basic
techniques and safety(this probably could be number one, eh?). Good
luck. Tom

Thanks Tom,

I will try this tonight and see how it works. I was feeding the board
in the direction the bit was spinning (right-to-left as you look at
the table). Should I feed against the rotation of the bit for every
bit (big or small) I use?

Thanks Again