Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default Tig welder extension cord

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 23:37:26 -0700, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 22:07:13 -0400, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 01:27:33 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 23:21:46 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

(there was an experiment that went terribly wrong during the
1970's with using AL wiring for 15 and 20A circuits.)

Indeed. They are still finding them when the house burns to the
ground.

The EARLY aluminum wire was awful. The later stuff is OK with the
proper switches and receptacles, which did NOT exist when aluminum
wiring was common. I don't like the stuff, but my home was wired with
it and I'm NOT rewiring it. I am, however, replacing all devices with
co/alr devices.

Even CO/ALR devices are not immune to trouble. I'd still MUCH
prefer it if the folks plagued with AL wiring would rip it all out and
start over. But for some strange reason people don't want to spend
all that money on a job they can't see any benefits from - at least
not until after the fire. Go figure...

The only safe way to handle it is to have all the device locations
(receptacles switches and lights) pigtailed to copper wires for the
device connections with compression splices - Amphenol makes the
special splices, the powered crimpers to apply them, and the
heat-shrink insulation sleeves on top. You have to take a factory
course and be certified by AMP to buy the supplies and to do the work.

And they are no safer than a properly installed co/alr.
My dad was an electrician through the aluminum years here in ontario.

For minor moves and changes where you don't want to pay the crimping
guys, the wiring has to be pigtailed out with special purple NoAlOx
compound filled wirenuts with extra strong springs - Ideal makes them.

-- Bruce --