Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Removing Stucco from Drywall

komobu wrote:
I have a 1971 row house that is about 1000 sq feet. Some one at some
time applied drywall mud to the walls and ceilings by dipping a
brush into the drywall mud and then blotting it on the
wall/ceiling. This was put on the entire ceiling and all interior
walls. It creates waves and ridges and has a kind of middle ages
look. I hate it! If you brush up against it, you can scrape your
skin. It has had several coats of paint put over it through out the
years.

Any idea how I can remove it short of tearing out all the drywall
and replacing it? I am seriously considering spraying the walls and
ceiling down with a garden hose and see if it will soften it up and
allow me to scrape it off.

Water isn't going to soften the paint, now is it? Paint remover
would, then water...not an easy way to go.

Use a broad knife or large scraper to knock off as much as possible
and get it smoother then skim coat it with compound.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...