Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default A Neener for those who like big toys- sorta kind of OT

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 00:16:16 -0700, wrote:

Well, you could always look into phase converting. I know it's
possible using a second electric motor in some capacity. Just do a
google search for "converting to three phase power" and see if you
can find a manufacturer or some instructions on how to do it.

I know it's possible because it's been done on farms where they might
have equipment that needs 3 phase power but the electic company only
supplies single or dual phase.

Yep, my uncle used to do that in his shop when I was an apprentice
knife grinder, but the problem with that is that I will be needing to
purchase a motor to begin with, which is not very cheap if I don't
find one used, and then I'd still need a second one for the phase
conversion along with whatever else needs to go along with that.

Last time I checked, a 5 hp Baldor motor was going for about $500- and
a phase convertor can be had for around $700. So, if I was going to
go for 3-phase, I may as well spring for the professionally assembled
rig- but I just don't have the capital to invest in either two motors
or a motor and a phase convertor. That's why I'd rather just stick
with a large 220 motor, which will only require a double breaker to
get me in business.