Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doki Doki is offline

Default Other mans junk is another...

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

Thing is, I remember going to the local tip as a lad some 30 or so
years ago - when my father would take a few odds and ends up there of
a Sunday...and despite being able to have a good rummage round we
never really found much that was any good. Either the totters are less
observant these days, or people are simply chucking away stuff that
people in years gone by would have sold or passed on.
I'm not complaining...

People seem to love waste. My sister recently moved back from Holland, and
sold a load of stuff that wouldn't fit in the back of my van. Kitchen table,
chairs, baby belling, bed etc. all sold easily, and her bikes that she
picked up at the tip in England and I fixed (new cables, drop of oil and
some adjustments) sold for ‚¬60 after sitting outside for a year. I reckon
none of the stuff would have sold in the UK. People would rather have ****e
new stuff than good old stuff.

Still, it's bloody good for people like you and me. My bird's got a hifi
that cost £2 - Rotel Deck from a car boot, hand down amp and CD player, and
a pair of B&O speakers from the 70s that I repaired. 40WPC and bass that'll
very easily upset the entire street.