Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
No Name

Default T&P relief valve - nowhere to drain?

"HeyBub" wrote in message
willshak wrote:

What do I do in my house? The Water Heater is in the basement and
there is no exit for a pipe that is not 6' below ground.
The best I can do is to have the T&P pipe dump into a pail with a sump
pump that will get it above ground.
The Water Softener suffers the same restriction and it is across the
cellar from the heater.
This house was approved by an inspector.

That'll work. And perhaps code in your area allows UP.

Now you say UP is fine...

Geez, make up your mind...

If the pipe goes up, then a small leak could allow water to enter the

valve
from the wrong direction. This back-up water could corrode the valve,
rendering it ineffective and non-functional. That's the problem with UP.

The purpose of the valve is not to prevent your carpet getting soaked;

it's
purpose is to prevent death from explosion, scalding from a ruptured tank,
or a hole through two floors and the roof when the tank takes off like a
rocket.

Here's an example of ONE LITER of water, under pressure, blowing its
container 300 feet into the air!
http://users.bigpond.net.au/mechtoys/waterrocket.html

Here's an exploding water heater that did $750,000 worth of damage.
http://www.theplumber.com/explodingwaterheater.html

The ruckus from an exploding tank will also disturb your cat.