Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default Tig welder extension cord

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 22:59:02 -0700, "42etus"
wrote:

Now I see from your header that you're in Canada. I don't know a thing about
the Canadian codes, my experience has all been in the USA.
All my comments were intended to remain south of the 48th parallel.grin
42

And I'm considerably south of that, too. 43° 27', North

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 20:03:48 -0700, "42etus"
wrote:

I think you guys missed my point. The OP seemed to be concerned that he
was
going to have a cord rated at 25 amps protected by a 50 amp breaker. What
meant to point out is that it is very common and allowed by the NEC to
have
cords supplying appliances that are rated less than the breaker supplying
the circuit. Most household appliances, toasters, lamps, radios, computers
etc all have power supply cords that are not rated for the 20 amps that
wall
outlets are capable of supplying. Can you imagine your electric razor
having
a 12/3 SJO cord just because your outlet in the bathroom was on a circuit
protected by a 20 amp breaker? That would make shaving each morning a real
PITA.
42

And where do you have 20 amp breaker protection on domestic
circuits????? In North America?????
Virtually all domestic branch circuits are 15 amp fused(or breaker
protected) 14 AWG copper or 12 awg Aluminum cable.
Virtually all computer power cords are 18AWG fine stranded copper, as
are MOST lamp cords and many light duty extention cords.
Virtually all domestic 110 volt receptacles are 15 amp and it is
AGAINST CODE to install 20 amp receptacles on a 14 guage 15 amp
circuit.
The OCCAISIONAL dedicated circuit for things like room air
conditioners are wired with 12awg and protected to 20 amp - using 20
amp receptacles and the odd "T" type power plugs - |