Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Solvent for dissolving asphalt tar?

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:40:32 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Carl
McIver" quickly quoth:

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Howdy,

I need to dissolve some asphalt potting tar off of a transformer (metal
content). In the past when I have done this, I have used gasoline, which
does work. The usual technique is to put the unit in a bucket of the
solvent and let it sit for a few days, brush off whatever is soft enough,
and repeat until a sufficient amount of tar is removed to allow access to
the innards.

I've discovered over the years that you can substitute lots of solvent
($$) for taking advantage of how the solvents work.
What I mean is that when I have a thick goo I need to dissolve, I put a
rag soaked in solvent on top of/around the goo, and wrap the rag in plastic
or some other way to seal it up from excessive vapor loss. Go away for a
little while (you'll learn how much eventually) and when you come back it's
a whole lot easier to get off than before. In fact, I have a tub that has a
bunch of old towels in the bottom of it. When I need to clean/strip painted
items, I put parts in the tub on the towels, previously soaked in acetone or
other favorite solvent, then close the tub up for awhile. Come back the
next time I feel like working on it, and the paint falls off in sheets with
little or no effort. Works the same way for any other stuff that can be
affected by a solvent.
You can work hard, or you can work smart. Me, I'm a bit lazy.

Verily. I learned that with water. I spray it on dirty items and walk
away. Five or ten minutes later, the water-soluble dirt wipes right
off. I then spray with solvent, walk away, and wipe the rest of the
water-insoluble goo off in a few minutes. It sure beats scrubbing for
half an hour, doesn't it?

Save the Endangered Bouillons from being cubed!