Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Drill press and Variable Speed

According to DanG :

[ ... ]

For those who asked:

The motor is a Leeson
1.5 HP
90 volt
15 AMP
4800 RPM
The output shaft is NOT threaded - normal flatted shaft.
It does say Torque 19.7, I've not seen this before and I am
curious what this one means.

At a guess -- DC PM motors often have a limit on the current
which can pass through them before it starts to demagnetize the
permanent magnet fields.

The current in a DC motor is proportional to torque.

So this is probably the maximum safe torque (probably
corresponding to the 15A spec). At a guess, that is foot pounds, but it
could be inch pounds, or Newton Meters without units from the data
place.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564