Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan Karley Aidan Karley is offline

Default Low energy lamps with dimmer

In article , wrote:
Has anyone tried LED lamps? I bought, as a trial, a couple of GU10 LED
spotlamps to fit in a five-unit ceiling fitting (the other three units are

I have brought several LED GU-10 units over the last year.

Some I have put in the bathroom - white tiled walls contrasting strongly
with blue paint and tile ... well the blue-white of "white" LED is fine
there, and the blue LEDs are good too.
Others into the daughter's bedroom ... "white" is generally acceptable there
too.
Lastly (on the GU-10 front) the hallway ... has a dimmer on it to drop use
to low levels at night without going to total darkness. Not suitable for
LEDs.

General result : the coloured ones aren't a problem, but in both
cases Their Ladyships insist on having an incandescent pointing at the
mirror, so they can get their face paint correct. I don't see the problem,
but I can see where a problem could arise, so I take the ~75% energy savings
and wait for the next generation.

LEDs are not a cure-all (I use colour at work, and I am very picky
about the lamps for my microscope); but for regular use they're a 4-for-50
swap, in terms of power used.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland