Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Fasteners for exterior redwood lattice

I dismantled and built a new gate out of fir or pine 2x4s and redwood
lattice strips in a cross-hatched pattern, similar to the one I
dismantled. I had a box of 1.5" 4d hot galvanized nails, and used most
of the box on the gate.

Now, I've decided to rebuild the gate surround with similar materials in
a similar way.

I already painted the gate with Kilz 2 primer followed by Benjamin Moore
exterior Low Lustre MoorGard.

Now, I notice that the box of nailes I used (Grip-Rite) states:

Stainless Steel or PrimeGuard is recommended with Cedar or Redwood."

Should I heed this warning? It's a little late for the gate, but I could
get PrimeGuard, which I guess is a special primer that's suited to
protect metal, or even some stainless steel nails, although I imagine
that such fittings would be quite expensive. Why can't I do as I've done
so far and use galvanized nails? Is Kilz 2 unsuitable? I have a lot of
Zinnser Cover Stain oil based primer. Would that be OK?

Dan