Posted to alt.home.repair
komobu komobu is offline

Default Removing Stucco from Drywall

I have a 1971 row house that is about 1000 sq feet. Some one at some
time applied drywall mud to the walls and ceilings by dipping a brush
into the drywall mud and then blotting it on the wall/ceiling. This
was put on the entire ceiling and all interior walls. It creates waves
and ridges and has a kind of middle ages look. I hate it! If you brush
up against it, you can scrape your skin. It has had several coats of
paint put over it through out the years.

Any idea how I can remove it short of tearing out all the drywall and
replacing it? I am seriously considering spraying the walls and
ceiling down with a garden hose and see if it will soften it up and
allow me to scrape it off.

Any help or advice is appreciated

Pat