Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default Natural edge bowl prep.

"George" wrote: (clip) The uniform wall thickness isn't all it seems. What
appear to be "variations in the width of the edge" are often just a result
of the changing angle as you deepen the bowl. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm talking about something different, and I think it is important. It is
possible to turn finished edge bowls that are not of uniform thickness, and
they will still look pretty good. An accomplished turner may pick up the
variations by feeling the inside and outside together. If you do as some
teachers suggest, and saw the bowl in half vertically, you will see the
variations in thickness.

A natural edge bowl gemerally has two high lobes and two low sides. The
edge passes from the high to the low points, so differences in thickness
appear as differences in the width of the edge, just as they do when you saw
a bowl in half. To a beginner this can be a challenge. You can't just
clean it up by taking a cut. And it DOES affect the esthetics.
(clip)Never was a critical thing to get the walls of a turning thin or even
uniform, so do what looks and feels right.(clip)
George, since you sell your bowls, I have to assume that you are getting
good results doing "what looks and feels right." To a person with less
experience than you, things don't always come out as expected or desired.
My comment was made with the belief that problems encountered while learning
can be handled better if they are understood--and a timely explanation can
be beneficial.