Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default What cheap wood will look good stained dark?

Toller,

My first thought would be to use Philippine Mahogany. I happen to like the
rather 'blank' grain structure - the 'Work' gets the attention, not the
'Wood'. Also, I like the 'semi-dark' color that appears with just Varnish.
However, a rubdown with 'Bombay Mahogany' will get you even deeper.

If you REALLY want to go 'cheap' . . . try regular Pine. Recently Joanne
wanted me to re-do a window shelf I had put in the kitchen about 20+ years
ago. I had just fitted & 'thrown up' this 8in shelf to cover the existing
narrow sill, so she could set out some plants. Slapped some brown paint on
it, and 'Bob's your uncle'.

Since then, we've done a lot of things to the kitchen, and now * we're *
involved in a pretty good make-over. Anyhow she wanted me to match the chair
rails that I made to match the Maple top of a drawed 'Potato Storage
Cabinet'. Didn't want to go for that much Maple - yet - ' . . . just make it
match, for now . .'. Long story short . . . coats & of 'Antique Maple' stain
wouldn't do it. Sanded it all off & started again . . . with a coat of GEL
Mahogany to start. After that only needed a couple of coats of the Maple. Of
course, to me it looks like 'Red Mahogany' - no where as light as the Maple
top - matches the tone of the 'aged' chair rail - but it looks great and she
likes it !!

It just may be the color / semi-darkness you are looking for.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
{PS - recommend Water-Based Poly as an overcoat. Goes on really easy, quick
rinse clean-up, and hard-as-nails result}

"Toller" wrote
The wood furniture in our living room is all dark. SNIP

Now my wife wants a couch; wood frame with cushions. We talked about the
wood. Apparently grain means nothing to her; she just want it about as

dark
as the mahogany pieces.

SNIP