Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Hull Stephen Hull is offline

Default Repainting tired kitchen doors - how best to do this?

In message . com
wrote:

fine sandpaper?

Yes but a good quality, non-clogging type. 3M etc

If sanded down wet it will not clog, wet-or-dry should do the job.

I've had good results with ordinary liquid gloss paints, providing the
first coat is applied sparingly with a rag and left to dry for 24 hours.
Once you have the initial bond, you can brush a couple of more generous
coats. It's a long process though.

You'll never get a decent finish using household gloss including Dulux.

How do you plan to get a shiny finish with no brush strokes using
a brush? I once painted a set of kitchen stuff with gloss when a
kid, and cant recommend it, unless your total budget for a refurb
is only a tenner, the finish really is knackered, and youre not fussy.

You won't get brush strokes if you use a coach paint.

The other issue with household gloss is that it isnt really tough
enough to survive well.

Most modern synthetic paints are now Alkyd resin based which being
extremely tough and will hold up very well, but I'd avoid using
Polyurethane and any type of household gloss if you really want a
brush-mark free finish.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes