Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson Andrew Mawson is offline

Default Other mans junk is another...

"George" wrote in message
k...
mans ect

Just saved a fire surround out of a local skip,its a replica of

georgian
style surround its made of thick fiberglass but is in very good

condition.

Why do people throw out some good decent stuff?

Some years ago, the fine Edwardian mansion next door was 'remodelled',
and I cringed as I watched the elements of a very fine staircase being
skipped, and lorry loads of el cheapo kiln dried (and soon to warp)
softwood being brought in. I crept out in the dead of night and
rescued the very elegant newel post from the skip as it's identical to
mine, the houses being built by the same builder in the same year.

That newel post still sits in my cellar, a nice piece of workmanship,
that so far I have shown to two sets of 'new owners' of next door!

AWEM