Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Douglass Tim Douglass is offline

Default Motor pulley problems

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 13:36:16 GMT, "Ron Magen"
wrote:

Tim,
BEFORE you start mucking about with the shaft . . . does it have a keyway?
Does the pulley have a keyway? If neither have a keyway, how is the pulley
locked to the shaft?

No keyway on the shaft, just a flat. The pulley has a setscrew.

The point is IF the SHAFT has a keyway, almost everything else can be easily
{relatively ?} solved. The shaft is the problem . . . hardened material and
relatively inaccessible to hand tools. A decent machine shop - or better
yet - a motor repair shop - can cut a keyway. {I wouldn't necessarily have
them turn the shaft - unless it was an *non-standard* size. Will you 'junk'
the saw when you 'up-grade' & keep useful parts? Or sell it off? }

The saw is maybe worth $100 with a working motor. I'll probably pull
the motor to build something else and give the saw away. It's an old
10" Rockwell with plastic wheels (and I suspect a rubber frame).

I really want to stay out of a machine shop just because I could
easily drop more getting the pulley on the shaft than the entire saw
is worth.

Since I don't have the motor mounted yet the shaft is very easy to
work on. I'm leaning toward the polish down a bit and see how it
works. Can't get to it until Friday probably, so I'll let everyone
know then.

{Everybody seems to have one of those convenient 'Farm Stores' near-by. I
even see the 'Tractor Supply Store' commercials on the local channels . . .
where's mine? }

I am surrounded by a thousand "hobby farms" of about 5 acres each with
one horse and a small tractor. The farm supply does a big business
selling to the wannabe farmers. Me, I just shop there because they
happen to stock some of this stuff and it's darn hard to find
otherwise. Well, that and the fact they have the lowest price around
on Wranglers.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Definition of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex.