Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV RayV is offline

Default Motor pulley problems

On Sep 4, 6:17 pm, Tim Douglass wrote:
A couple months ago the motor on my bandsaw went up in smoke. It
seemed pretty simple to just trot down to the local farm supply and
pick up a new motor. I couldn't get the exact base plate, but it will
work.

Got it home and set out to remove the old motor pulley to put on the
new motor. As soon as I put any pressure on the puller it just
snapped. The old pulley was made out of some sort of pot metal with
essentially zero strength. So it's back to the farm supply for a
pulley, all they have are these strange stamped sheet metal things,
but what the hey. When I tried to install it there was no way I could
get it on the shaft, the fit was just too tight. I managed to work it
partway before it jammed and then the puller reduced this new pulley
to a rather interesting free-form metal sculpture when I tried to
remove it.

Now I have in hand a proper cast iron pulley. The shaft and bore both
are supposed to be 5/8", but I still can't get the pulley to go on. So
what do I do next? I'm thinking that I could heat the pulley with my
heat gun then slip it quickly in place, but I'm not sure that will
really work. Otherwise I could buff a few thou. off the shaft - it
seems to be a bit rough, so that might be a good idea anyway.

What do you all think? I'm already torqued at having to replace the
motor on a saw that I'm going to upgrade out of in a few months, but
the saw was free and I need it sometime between *now* and *real soon*,
and I'm not going to have the long green for the new saw until at
least into the new year... soooo........

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Definition of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex.

I'll add one more vote for the torch on the pulley. If needed you can
put the motor in the freezer for an hour also. This method also makes
easy work of putting your pistons on the rods.