BigWallop

Default Replacing damaged joists

"DjB" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message

wrote in message
DjB wrote:
We're in the process of renovating one of our ground floor

snipped
we can see that the one joist has suffered quite badly. There doesn't
appear any sign of rot, the damage does seem to be purely insect
infestation. I have a section of the joist which has been cut out by a
plumber and it is totally riddled with tiny passages where the worms have
burrowed. The room has never been centrally heated and I wonder if this
hasn't helped (this is a 130 year old house).

Since the joists have been treated do you think I can leave them in place
and install new ones alongside? Or would cutting it out be better?

I'd really advise going for all new timbers where needed, and make sure the
surrounding masonry and window frames are well treated with insecticide and
preservers. An attack of these little blighters can be the death of these
old properties due to the timbers being dry and mature for them to live on.

It is a bit more expensive to complete, but once it is complete it gives the
peace of mind to know that it's all done right.

Good luck on it.