Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Low energy lamps with dimmer

wrote:
Thus spake Andy Hall ) unto the assembled multitudes:

How the fans of CFLs fool themselves. I've fitted 24W CFLs supposed to
be equivalent to 100W incandescent bulbs. The light from them is about
the same as I get from a 15W incandescent bulb.

I've found them to be suitable for exterior use in lanterns, but that's
about it - nothing inside. Too dim and the sickly light.....

Has anyone tried LED lamps? I bought, as a trial, a couple of GU10 LED
spotlamps to fit in a five-unit ceiling fitting (the other three units are
GU10 CFLs). They give quite a bright output for only 1.2W consumption each
(the CFLs are 7W consumption). They are rather more directional than the
CFLs (not to mention having a rather 'cold' quality to their light). For
me, the jury's still deliberating...

That seems to be the general consensus at the moment, cold and
directional. OK for feature lighting perhaps. The other point to watch
is the LEDs are driven hard in this application, so the life expectancy
is not good (especially compared to what you normally expect for a LED).
One of our clients has a shop front that used a whole bunch of these for
wall washers, where they actually wanted the slightly blue effect to
match their other feature lighting. After as little as six months some
of the individual LEDs in the lamps were failing.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |