Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default OT Wrong advertised specifications

"Bill" wrote in message

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

It undoubtedly comes with Vista Home. Minimum for that is 2 GB RAM.

Vista
alone uses up almost 900MB of system RAM without running any apps.

Paul

What??? Minimum for Vista Home Basic is 512mb.

It will "run" at that size but it won't be useable.

Now, maybe the
minimum to run more than one or two apps at a time is more but
surely not 2gb for Home Basic.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...uirements.mspx

Just try running it with 512 and it will go virtual and drive your
performance down to a crawl. A brand new Vista Home system with no apps
running typically will demand 860MB of RAM If you only have 512 it will
constantly swap to disk and that destroys performance. 2 GB is the
practical configuration. Microsoft claimed XP was fine in 128 but you could
never do anything with it with that little RAM. An extra gig for that
computer is like 50 bucks. Money very well spent.

You'll have to forgive me. I have only been in this business for 24 years
and I make a living as a IT consultant.

Paul