Posted to sci.electronics.repair
w_tom w_tom is offline

Default Mobo repair - any point?

On Sep 4, 8:25 pm, Sam Goldwasser wrote:
No, I do mean corrupted CMOS. A hard reset using the internal switch
(or contacts - I forget what it had) loaded defaults and restored
normal operation. It appeared totally dead before that.

Sounds unique. BIOS will ususally perform a checksum or something
equivalent to confirm CMOS integrity. If CMOS is corrupted, then BIOS
would output an error message to the video controller. Of course, it
would not boot the OS. But the computer did boot and should display
an error message and / or associated beep code.

BIOS typically starts by performing simple concepts such as memory
checks, etc. CMOS is typically ignored until integrity of most basic
functions are first established.

Which reset are you referring? CMOS reset or computer reset?