Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Motor Upgrade Question

aaah, Harry - 12 inches is a medium sized bowl - it seems really big if you
have been doing only 4 inch pieces - your 3/4 inch spindle should be ok at
12 inches, but I'd worry about it at 48 inches (or even 24 inches) -

"harry" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the great advice. Much appreciated.

I had a chance to mount a large bowl blank (outboard) yesterday
evening using my existing motor. I used a piece of walnut from one of
my neighbors trees that was just under 12" diameter, trimmed to a
reasonable round shape on my bandsaw. I was pleasantly surprised to
see that the motor turned it just fine. Unfortunately the lathe stand
is not anywhere heavy enough for such a large piece. Vibration would
be an understatement. It was more like a bucking bronco I'm
thinking I might just save my larger blanks for when I get a new lathe
with a larger swing.

Thanks again and keep on turning!
Cheers... harry