Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Motor pulley problems

Tim Douglass wrote:

I went after them with my better dial calipers (the ones I use for
reloading rather then the shop ones) I got .625 for the pulley and
.627 for the shaft. That is probably within tolerance for the
low-budget-no-name Chinese motor maker. The shaft is pretty rough -
like it wasn't final ground after the lathe or something.

If they're close (within a couple thousandths) you can pop the pulley on by
heating it -- but probably not with a heat gun. Think torch, and heavy leather
gloves.

That's what I wondered, just how hot I would need to get things.

I don't have the equipment to bore out the pulley that precisely, but
wouldn't be hard to take the shaft down those couple thou. with some
silicon carbide paper and a metal backing block against the spinning
shaft. I'll think about it a bit and see what other suggestions crop
up on here.

Way _too_ hot to make it the way to proceed...I'd do the latter --
although I'd probably just go for the carbide cloth-backed "tape" emery
cloth as the easier way. As you say, a couple thou is pretty easy that
way unless the shaft is really, really hard (which you'll find out quite
quickly)...