Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
flash flash is offline

Default buying iron castings

Well, I was at Cattail Foundry (10 miles more or less, northeast of
Lancaster, if you don't want to launch MapQuest) in the summer of 05, and
they were very much in business then, and the prices they quoted for the
work we were proposing were VERY much within reason for the parts. We could
have them in any conditionor finish, (as cast, barely cleaned, sprues cut
off and ground, ready to be machined, or points inbetween) nice people to
speak with, deal with.

I'm just sorry my collaborator couldn't finish up the design so we could go
on with the project. (Diabetes overcame his eyesight, then his ambition.)

But Cattail would be my first choice, even if I had to drive a hundred miles
or more. The 40 pound part would be well within their capability.I sawparts
and atterns there of greater ambition.

From sitting in the truck, parked at the door, it looked like we were going
to enter a dairy-barn, rather than a foundry/machine shop. (Have you ever
seen a lathe run by compressed air?)

Patterns and core boxes lying about, looking exactly like the stuff in the
museum of the company I worked for. Men and boys working there were quiet,
reserved, and of such a politeness that made me cease to wonder why they
lived that way in a world of modern everything.

Flash

"Mike Henry" wrote in message

"Carl Boyd" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message
ps.com...
does anyone have experience w/purchasing casting (from their own
patterns) for some project they were building? Better yet can they
recommend someone in northeast Pennsylvania that does onezies? I'd
like to build a replica of an early Hardinge vertical mill. Nothing
over 40 lbs. I don't think. Thanks.

A direct offlist e-mail would be even more appreciated.

Several years ago, someone on RCM recommended an Amish run foundry (think
no phone, and no internet), that I think Pa. I think the name was
Cattail Foundry.

google found this article with a name and an address
http://steamtraction.com/archive/5088/

Is Gordonville, Pa. close to you?

Search RCM archives, I think that self addressed stamped envelope is the
contact method.

A search of www.owwm.com might also prove fruitful. ISTR that some folks
there had replacement casting made from broken parts by that same Amish
foundry and were happy with the results.

Mike