Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Motor pulley problems

In article , Tim Douglass wrote:

Now I have in hand a proper cast iron pulley. The shaft and bore both
are supposed to be 5/8", but I still can't get the pulley to go on. So
what do I do next? I'm thinking that I could heat the pulley with my
heat gun then slip it quickly in place, but I'm not sure that will
really work. Otherwise I could buff a few thou. off the shaft - it
seems to be a bit rough, so that might be a good idea anyway.

Agree with Upscale that if you're going to mod anything, it should be the
pulley arbor and not the motor shaft.

Do you have access to a good dial caliper, to measure the OD of the shaft and
the ID of the arbor? You may have a 16mm motor shaft (0.6299") instead of
5/8".

If they're close (within a couple thousandths) you can pop the pulley on by
heating it -- but probably not with a heat gun. Think torch, and heavy leather
gloves.

If they're not close... what you do next depends on what you measured with the
caliper. If the motor shaft is really supposed to be 5/8 (0.625) and it's
actually 16mm, either you take it back to the point of purchase, or you get a
16mm pulley. If the pulley is undersize, you could ream or bore it out.

--
Regards,