Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken Jon Danniken is offline

Default Solvent for dissolving asphalt tar?

Howdy,

I need to dissolve some asphalt potting tar off of a transformer (metal
content). In the past when I have done this, I have used gasoline, which
does work. The usual technique is to put the unit in a bucket of the
solvent and let it sit for a few days, brush off whatever is soft enough,
and repeat until a sufficient amount of tar is removed to allow access to
the innards.

Now, however, being somewhat more cautious, I am entertaining thoughts of
using a less volatile solvent, in the interest of safety. Ideally, I won't
be giving up too much solubility in the process

I have narrowed it down to a few choices, diesel, kerosene, naptha (Coleman
fuel), or paint thinner (mineral spirits). Diesel would be about as cheap
as gas, which is a plus, but I am unsure as to it's ability to dissolve tar.

Any thoughts on which would be the best solvent for dissolving asphalt tar?

Thanks,

Jon