Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default Tig welder extension cord

"42etus" writes:

OTOH, there's just something wrong about
putting a 25 amp cable on a 50 amp breaker running
to a 38 amp load.

Actually you do this kind of thing every time you plug a table lamp wired
with 18 gauge wire into a wall outlet protected by a 20 amp breaker.

Only if the lamp is running between 17 and 19 amps (just did a quick
google and found a claim that 18ga is good for 16A -- what I'm saying
here is based on the assumption that the info I found was accurate).
If the lamp is rated for a 100W bulb, you're fine.

As others have mentioned, this is allowed by the NEC under certain
circumstances.

I'll have to look that one up...