Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default Tig welder extension cord

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 16:08:17 -0500, Ignoramus15584
wrote:

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 13:40:14 -0700, 42etus wrote:

OTOH, there's just something wrong about
putting a 25 amp cable on a 50 amp breaker running
to a 38 amp load.

Actually you do this kind of thing every time you plug a table lamp wired
with 18 gauge wire into a wall outlet protected by a 20 amp breaker.

That is not a very good analogy.

Sure isn't, because the 1 amp table lamp is on a 7 amp cord in a 15
amp circuit.

However, when running a welder on an extention cord, you want a cord
capable of handling AT LEAST 120% of the expected load to reduce
voltage drop. I like a good tec table 4-3 or 12-3 extention cord (15
or 20 amp capacity) to run things like table saws, light duty
welders,pressure washers, etc. A lighter cord can sometimes prevent
popping a fuse on startup because it limits the load - but not a good
idea. My old repulsion start table saw would occaisionally pop a
standard 15 amp fuse when started plegged into the wall. When on a 16
gauge cord 25 feet long it took longer to come up to speed but never
popped a fuse. Went to using "slo-blow_ fusetrons - no more blown
fuses.