Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] doc@sympatico.ca is offline

Default Tig welder extension cord

I had a similar problem and I put in about 25 feet of 8x3.

I must admit that I had to breathe rather deeply when I saw how
much it was going to cost.

But now the weakest link in the chain is the guy doing the
work! :-)oo

DOC

Jim Stewart wrote:
The business had a little extra cash before tax
time so my wife let me buy a Thermal Arc 185 TIG
welder.

I sorted out the plug/socket and installed an
outlet for the unit. I also want to fabricate
a 20' extension cord for the unit, and that's
where I got confused.

The welder specs call out 38 amps/240 volts as
the max current draw. The welder comes with a
line cord with 12 gauge conductors with a 50
ampere plug on the end. Anyone see the apparent
contradiction here?

I installed a 50 ampere breaker, the called-out
50 ampere socket, and 50 ampere-rated conductors
between the two. Should be no issue there.

The problem is the 20 foot extension cord. 8
or even 10 gauge portable cordage would seem
to be a waste given the 12 gauge cord on the
unit. OTOH, there's just something wrong about
putting a 25 amp cable on a 50 amp breaker running
to a 38 amp load.