Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook Wayne Cook is offline

Default JD-455 Transaxle update

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 16:02:37 GMT, "Carl Byrns"

.3.70...
I had a messy but fun time pulling the Tuff Torq tranny off that old
JD455.

I've been working on the assumption that the shade-tree guy who welded
the tow valves shut actually caused the "no reverse" problem it has.
Now, I'm pretty convinced.

There were a couple of case leaks, so that offered an opportunity to peek
inside with good reason. But when I got the case open, I was completely
amazed.

This thing has 3K hours of actual mowing on it. There wasn't enough
swarf inside the case to dirty one fingertip! If I didn't mind the taste
of ATF, I could've eaten out of it.

Are you sure it uses ATF? Most hydrostats use motor oil or Universal Tractor
Hydraulic Fluid (UTH). ATF is usually the worst thing for them.

That varies a lot. In fact all of the John Deere's I've seen specify
ATF (admittedly my experience is with much older machines). In my case
there is a mess up in the manuals somewhere. My factory service manual
calls for Type F where my factory owners manual calls for Type A. Both
manuals are for my year model and serial number as well. Well for my
oldest one anyway, I've actually got three of them with the last two
having the same transaxle despite a number of years difference and
different model numbers as well. I've never seen anything other than
Type A in any of them.