Posted to uk.d-i-y
Calla Calla is offline

Default getting a house looked at before possibly buying it

On 4 Sep, 20:47, wrote:
On 4 Sep, 19:29, wrote:

wrote:
The principle I would apply is that you need to ask for someone with
20 plus years of experience in surveying the type of house you want to
buy. Ask him out right.

Why would I want to ask him out? .... oh, you mean outright!

--
Chris Green

Very tired and, when giving free advice, I tend not to bother to
check my work but, thinking about it, not a bad idea to ask him if you
want to get him on your side! you never know where it might lead! nuff
said....
BTW -thanks Mary

The house is a fairly average semi - 1930s I reckon. It's not listed.
It looks like it's been lived in by an old couple who may not have had
the get up & go to keep up to it. It has very 1960s looking
fireplaces. The fuse box looks recentish but who knows about the
wiring itself - another thing that'll have to be checked (I've got a
mate that's an electrician so at least I can get this on the cheap).
Generally, apart from the double glazing (which doesn't look exactly
new either), nothing looks like it's been updated in years. I'm
wondering if this applies to everything.
I'm starting to talk myself out of it now.
Anyway, I'll probably get a builder in in the first instance. The £150
quid or whatever isn't making much difference to the grand total. I
won't take their word as gospel though and will follow Chris's advice
with regard to the surveyor (not the coming on to them bit - I've been
trying this with the estate agents and it's going nowhere).
Thanks again.
Andy.