Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve[_4_] Steve[_4_] is offline

Default Smoothing an old wall

Thomarse wrote:

I've just read some reviews on the polycell smoothover.. all very bad,
saying its rubbish and a nightmare to work with..Most of these reviews
were people who used it to cover artex or woodchip though.. All I want
is a thin layer over my dodgy walls....

IMO, it is expensive rubbish for skimming anything and probably the
hardest thing for beginners to use, especially if you use the silly tool
recommended. I used it once, never again, for skimming over a small
artexed ceiling. Harder to work with and much more expensive than either
artex or finishing plaster although I have never tried it in the
situation you describe.

Has anyone in here actually used this stuff for this? Is it worth me
doing or should I consider something else

Either paint it then fill bad bits with fine filler and sand gently then
paint again, sand and so on - or get wall fairly good then lining paper.

Steve