Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Andy is offline

Default Mobo repair - any point?

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 08:22:48 -0700, paulfoel
wrote:

I've got a mobo where the led comes on when the power supply is
connected but powering on does absolutely nothing. I've even tried
shorting the power button pins to rule out power button problem but
still nothing.

Is it dead? Can I do anything with it or is it new mobo time?

You start by measuring the +5 volts standby power (5VSB at the ATX
power connector). Just because the LED is on does not necessarily mean
the the voltage is on spec.

If 5VSB is okay, then you measure PS_ON# while depressing the power
switch. PS_ON# should go low, turning on the power supply.