Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Motor Upgrade Question

you may not want to increase HP - my nova mini lathe has a 1 inch spindle
(compared to your 3/4 inch) and it was not happy at 5 inch diameter, my
larger lathe has a 1.25 inch spindle - it seems to me that the HP and lathe
are well matched

"harry" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I have an antique lathe that is getting quite a bit of use. It's a
1941 Dunlap combination woodworking and metalworking lathe. 30"
between centers, 9" swing. The spindle is 3/4" threaded both ends.
I've been considering turning outboard for bowls larger than 9", but
the lathe still has its original motor - a 1/3 HP, single phase, which
I doubt has enough power for anything bigger than 9". Anyone know if
I could replace it with a motor with more HP, providing I stick with a
single phase and something close to the 1750 RPM of the original
motor? If I do replace it do I need to do anything about the
bearings? It's a great lathe (even if it is 66 years old) and
produces some fine bowls, boxes, tops, etc., I would hate to damage
it. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,
harry