Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.appalachian
Guv Bob Guv Bob is offline

Default Chinese particleboard is bad stuff, boys, addendum

"Robatoy" wrote in message ups.com...
On Sep 4, 12:12 pm, "Guv Bob"
wrote:
Photos posted at alt.binaries.crafts.pictures under subject, "Cabinets with exposed particleboard "

I have got to hand it to you. I have yet to encounter a piece of
cabinetry that badly made. Just awful.

I have been in this business since 1976 and it has always been
melamine on both sides.
There was a rash of 'ResCore' around which was some kind of resin
painted PB, but that didn't last long.
I know of no cabinet shop in my territory that would stoop to that
crap.

I guess the off-shore crowd won't stop at anything, eh?

Thanks for the heads up, I will be keeping a close eye on some of the
imported stuff.

A sheet of 4x8 5/8 melamine (120 gram) might cost 20 bucks... so over
a whole kitchen, if I can get that sheet for half that price, I save
what...100 bucks if I use 10 sheets?
$ 100.00 on a 8-10K$ kitchen...whoopie.

Yeah, I learned more than I really wanted to on this little project. Evidently the latest industry standard now in use is ANSI A208.1 - 1993. Don't ask me what that means though... that's where I get off. Probably means "buyer beware."

After this little experience, I went around to other cabinet shops and find out that most advertise the particleboard cabinets as a come-on. Then they offer 'various grades' -- laminated one side, both sides, edges, etc.

By the time you learn what you really need to know, you wish you could go back and start over. Same with women.

Guv Bob