Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.appalachian
Guv Bob Guv Bob is offline

Default Chinese particleboard is bad stuff, boys, addendum

"Robatoy" wrote in message ups.com...
On Sep 4, 10:58 am, "Guv Bob"
wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in oglegroups.com...
On Sep 4, 4:22 am, Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 3, 9:37 pm, "goaway" wrote:

Never felt a need to use particle board. It has NO redeeming values. It
heavy, it fails easily, it sags with any moisture content, can not burn the
scraps and the bigest fairtail of them all ==== truely usless for
countertops that you want to truley last... Always have and always will use
plywood for my projects. And to those who say "but it's cheep" yes for the
first time something is built, but when it needs to be rebuilt because it
warped or ballooned up [snip]

All true what you're saying. BUT!
Aside from being cheap, the are some serious advantages to consider.
Most PB is laminated with melamine,

Most PB..as in.... most PB in kitchen cabinet work is melamine
clad...nobody ever uses unfinished PB in a kitchen cabinet...now would
they?

Not around here. Most of the ones I have seen in showroom show only laminate from the front, but if you pull the drawers out or look around back, almost all of them have unfinished particle board. Besides Lowes and Home Depot, check your local cabinet shops and look up underneathe. Even the sides and back that are laminated have raw, unfinished particleboard contacting the floor.

Ahhh, the edges of the gabels. Why yes, of course. Those are never
finished.

Not just the edges (with, by the way, is were most of the fumes come out because they are rough and not sealed). The whole flat sides and back are exposed particleboard. Give me a binary newsgroup you have access to and I'll upload a photo.