Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default 2 questions about axes

"Ignoramus15584" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Axe.jpg

We used this newly acquired axe at a park party last night and it
worked rather well at chopping firewood and such.

My questions are twofold.

1 I used a bench grinder to resharpen the axe. I did pay attention to
seeing that the edge would not overheat (turn blue). What I want to
know is what shape of the edge is right. I made a concave shape.

2 The handle looks like it would benefit from some wedges inserted to
support the axe head on the handle more tightly. I searched some
places and did not find any wedges. I suspect that I simply did not
look for the right term. Where can I find steel wedges for axes? I
know that I could make one, but I would prefer to find something ready
made.

You might try searching for replacement handles. They often come with the
wedges to stabilize the axe head onto the handle.