Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill press and Variable Speed

Wild_Bill wrote:
Another consideration for the generic variety of treadmill motors is
that they sometimes utilize a flywheel with fins to act as a fan to cool
the motor, which is less effective at slower speeds, and that the shafts
are commonly threaded to accept the flywheel, because the motor's
intended use is to run in one direction only.

Right - realize that if the shaft is threaded, you can only run the
motor in one direction, no reversing. In fact that one direction may be
opposite what you need for your drill press! Check it!

The ideal method to start/stop the motor would be the treadmill's
original method, which probably gradually ramps up the motor speed when
it's started. This may have been a connection to the drive board that
came from the treadmill's control panel, or another type of operator's
switch.

The treadmill's control board is meant to avoid instant starts. The
boards I've used required that the speed pot be turned up from zero.
This is a major nuisance, which I kinda' got around by having a push
button which shorted the pot and made the board think it was at zero.
Still, having to push the button after turning it on was still
inconvenient, so I bought a real controller on eBay.

Bob